Monday, December 24, 2012

Love the Night: Christmas Lights

How to be a Native - Step Seven

Get dazzled by illuminations.
A Christmas cake. Image from Google.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!  I know I was supposed to post last Sunday, but I'd just finished finals, so I was like, “Nah… I need to rest.”  But I’m back now and have come bearing the gift of a cool Christmas event.  Before I get into that, here is a little native knowledge about Christmas in Japan (because it would be too long for the sidebar). 

Christmas is just another day in Japan (everyone goes to work and school) so most of the celebrations take place on Christmas Eve.  It’s more of a lover’s holiday instead of time together with the family.   
The Christmas Menu
One of the ways Japanese celebrate it is with special Christmas cakes (not fruit cake but sponge cake with Christmas decorations).  They also have KFC dinners because Japanese don’t have ovens big enough for a turkey. 
Here is my “oven” from 
when I lived in Japan. 
Small but delicious.

My family still managed to have a more American style Christmas dinner though. 
And finally, instead of each home putting up lights, the city, shops and parks put up vast and beautiful displays called illuminations.

For me, there is nothing quite as spectacular and special as Christmas lights and in Japan they go all out.  They can be seen all over the country, but in the Tokyo area I recommend Tama Center (多摩センター) in Tama (多摩市).

The main display.
 Their lights display starts at the south end of the Tama Center Station (多摩センター駅) and goes down along two roads, one of which goes to the Parthenon, a type of concert hall.   

Some lovely horses.
There are many different designs ranging from the traditional Christmas trees, reindeer and Santa to an ocean display and random animals such as horses, pigs, squirrels and so on.   

Santa and his reindeer having a little fun.
My favorite is the ocean display because it truly dazzles with all that light.

Swimming in light.
Which ones are your favorites?  Tama Center puts up this display every year and it’s completely free, so there’s really no reason why you shouldn’t treat yourself to it.   

A squirrel and some reindeer.
When you get too cold to go on, you can do some gift shopping.  Tama Center has hundreds of shops all within easy walking distance of the lights.  

Blue hearts of love.
Have fun and stay warm!  I’ll post again next week with a special New Year’s event.


      

No comments:

Post a Comment